Pages

Saturday 28 July 2012

Match Review - Oldham Athletic

By Sam Heaney

I’m glad this was only a friendly. Of course, It’s all about getting players match-fit again after their pre-season breaks and also for the new signings to bond/gel with the rest of the squad.

Once we were 3-0 down I did start to panic. I can cope with conceding three goals in a friendly but anymore is too much. Personally I thought we defended poorly resulting in Oldham taking full advantage and scoring their three. Playing 4-4-2 evidently did not work in the first half because I felt McGuire and Fowler were out-run in midfield.

The second half seemed like a completely different game. Substitutions were made which helped to pack the midfield stopping Oldham from bossing the game. This enabled us to get in their faces  which then meant we could move further up the pitch into an attacking style of play. Bringing Nicholson on was a good move by Micky Mellon in my opinion as I felt his experience paid off overall in the half.

My Man of the Match, Andy Mangan, popped up with a diving header which found the back of the net from a Dean Howell cross. I was so happy for him because I felt all his hard work deserved some sort of reward, and he got that.

All in all it was not the best of performances from Town but after the second half I am optimistic for the next game against Tranmere Rovers.


No comments:

Post a Comment